Dear Value-Driven School Leaders, We honor you for pursuing the unrivaled resource of rare, top-notch youth literature for your students. Our school services are explained here (or quickly scroll to Services/Fees chart below):
School Libraries…of Best, Rare Books!
Few dare to truly teach…truth and virtue, depth and breadth.
Few schools see students as more than impersonal data holders.
Few respect the heart of the learner, target of stirring ideals and seat of personal greatness.
For those schools who have dared, their standout students are the rare breed who yearn for profundity and personal impact.
Thus, the highest quality resources should be in their hands…and hearts.
Greetings! As requested by a Hillsdale/Barney school being founded in my community, I am glad to offer, to all the charters, access to my (largest-known) private library of rare youth literature in America. (Better yet, I can serve by duplicating my library at your school.) These older books are seldom found in public or school libraries, since from the “Golden Age of Children’s Literature” (1930s-60s), when books stirred youth hearts first, through tender, value-laden narrative (and then informed the brain), by inspiring character, teachability, and respect for classic truths. They still delectably draw youths into topics of sweeping breadth and depth (thought impossible by most modern educators, and rarely covered in contemporary books, which instead focus on liberal politicians, musicians, athletes, and movie stars). These books plant a seed of thrilling engagement which bears fruit throughout life, so are called living books. These literary treasures embody the value-school ideals!
LET’S GET YOU STARTED! Build-a-Library
- It is unspeakably thrilling to watch students come alive to deep learning, and retro, valuable living books are an ultimate means.
- No matter that they are hard to discover and obtain! You needn’t research or hunt. Put my 21+ years of pioneering work (and education/history authorship) to work.
- Let’s incrementally duplicate for your students my Children’s Preservation Library –- the first- and largest-known private library of rare, out-of-print, living books (20,000 volumes, for Gr. K-12).
- Our library was visited (and much complimented) by Mr. Philip Kilgore, national director of Hillsdale College’s Barney Charter School Initiative.
- Since classic education is synonymous with outstanding literature–an essential pillar—Mr. Kilgore explored with me the idea of starting with “Top 500” books, and then adding incrementally each year.
- I can indeed frugally target a Top 500 (or work within any budget amount, to hasten library building) for each school, and then procure additional book-lots during subsequent years, due to my long-developed expertise and network of obscure sources.
- Sparing you specialized staffing needs, we can send the rare books to you already labeled, barcoded, and databased, ready for your blessed students to relish and read!
WHILE WE’RE BUILDING YOUR LIBRARY – Borrow-a-Library
- While we’re building your library, you can still have all the best books for your students.
- How? For the first two years in your library-building program, you are welcome to borrow from our Children’s Preservation Library.
- Here, we offer the largest-known private collection of out-of-print, hard-to-find literary gems (25,000) on every imaginable topic.
- These living books far surpass contemporary books in their higher view of the reader, authority, character, and truth. They cover historical and biographical topics which most moderns/postmoderns (errantly) deem obsolete.
- Our library’s specialty is history, biography, art, and highly specific, vicarious historical fiction, and also covers science, math, etc.
- We offer loaning/mailing service on these books…to your school.
your school and serve your students with access to this outstanding collection,
so you can offer the best immediately.
Borrow-a-Librarian…AND YOU ARE THEN FULL-SERVICE! (Specialty Recommendation Service)
- The potential of each student is absolutely exhilarating!
- Teachers diligently labor to provide crucial, broad, and foundational curriculum to entire classes.
- But, teachers also love to harness librarians in aid to the blossoming of each student’s unique callings and giftings.(Personal development + Solid curriculum = Masterful education.)
- Parents & teachers also yearn for youths to fall in love with reading, for lifetime learning.
- Harness my special expertise: uncovering individual interests and instantly naming “just right” books to foster and inspire. “Just right” books also stir a love of reading, due to the powerful connection. It has been a great joy to witness this dynamic, ceaselessly!
- Teachers require “just right” books to complement their teaching, students can benefit from a unique aid during a learning challenge, or mentors may seek means to inculcate a certain character quality. Just let me know! I will provide moving titles on any subject.
- Be it courage, medieval locks, or naval architecture in colonial America, there is a retro living book for that…by a passionate author, and respectfully published with creamy paper, generous space, and tender illustrations!
- So, utilize my recommendation service. Your teachers & students will access me directly (private/dedicated forum) for rapid recommendations on special pursuits. Since I have acquired virtually all living books, have them “in my head,” and have long noted those most beloved, you can cost-effectively offer elite/personalized book recommendations to all your students, through a single cost-effective source.
- Naturally, you’ll want to acquire these recommended books for your student and library. We can quickly find, label, database, and ship. Or, you may borrow them from my library.
- Value-driven educational goals are (rightly!) much loftier than the sterile, sub-human “data-download” common elsewhere.
- Instead, heroism, courage, sacrifice, wisdom, patriotism, and deep connections between spheres of knowledge are the aim. Flourishing students can also wisely bless our nation.
- As a living-books librarian (and history curriculum writer), it is my privilege to quickly help teachers and students to the literary treasures which immerse thrilled readers in the heartfelt history, geography, biography, art, architecture, literature, math, and science which integrate so richly and synergistically in the real world. Example: an art lover could interact uniquely with bird study or Ancient Greece!
WHY OUR SERVICES?
- Proven Expertise No need to “reinvent the wheel,” or hire someone in each school to learn what we’ve already learned and successfully built.
- Shared Mission We’ve long believed in the value-driven education mission (my son is a Hillsdale College Honors alumnus and graduate). And, we’ve been a key partner to deep-educating families for over two decades! Offering rare literary resources distinguishes values-driven schools to caring parents.
- One-of-a-kind Database You’ll love our specialized database/web-interface. Each school’s library will be a “branch,” facilitating interlibrary loans between the other charters, and my library. We can manage the database for all schools, sparing duplicative staffing.
- We highly recommend adding this service, to maximize your students’ and teachers’ “mining” of the rich resources. There is even a special “Search” feature for young’uns.
database provides specialized book descriptions, unique to values-educators,
and covers books so rare that information is difficult to find elsewhere; hence
my 13,000+ hours in development…and counting!
Just select your desired services (see chart below), drop us a line, and we will delightedly serve your students... immediately. Thank you!
Respectfully submitted,Michelle Howard Miller
Please let us know how you wish to proceed, and feel free to ask questions! We can begin immediately!
Contact: Michelle Howard Miller/Living Books Lady|526 W. 14th St, Suite 161, Traverse City, MI 49684
Michelle Howard Miller
University of Alabama, Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude
Michelle, a Hillsdale College/Honors parent, is a veteran educational author, columnist, speaker, consultant, and pioneer librarian (Children's Preservation Library), who founded/operates the first- and largest-known “living-books” library in the US. She also wrote an 11-part award-winning curriculum (TruthQuest History) which leads students (Gr. 1-12) through a deep probing of worldview in American, Ancient, and European history, while also immersing them in all spheres of the culture for cause-and-effect. TruthQuest History incorporates her vast living-books knowledge through specific book recommendations on each particular topic. Michelle spent many years educating all four of her children: two adult sons, and two teens. She now has seven grandsons! (A full curriculum vitae is on About Us page.)
Living Book Services FOR SCHOOLS
(Options and Fees)
À la carte
Build-a-Library BOOK ACQUISITION
(We will procure/process/ship books; school then owns books.)
Per book: purchase cost,
plus $5 labor to find/process, plus shipping
(We will honor any budget. 1)
Borrow-a-Library BOOK BORROWING
(From Michelle's Children's Preservation Library, for first two years of library-building at your school; we will help school learn to access.)
$750 annual fee, plus labor/shipping costs needed to pull/mail borrowed books. 2
Borrow-a-Librarian PERSONAL BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS FOR STUDENTS & TEACHERS (Quick access to Michelle via private forum.)
$2,450/year, or $49/hour 3
(Per school price will be reduced when ten schools participate. Annual rate best value, since “free” after just 50 hrs/yr.)
One-of-a-kind Living-Book Database/Web-Interface
(Delve into Michelle's unrivaled, values-oriented, living-books database to browse/search/track books, whether books owned by school, available in Michelle's library, or in participating Hillsdale/Barney charter libraries. 4)
$850 annual access fee
(It has taken Michelle over 13,000 hours to create database; she augments constantly. Also contains top-notch themed reading lists on topics in many subjects.)
All-Inclusive (Best value)
Build-a-Library BOOK ACQUISITION Borrow-a-Library BOOK BORROWING
Borrow-a-Librarian PERSONAL BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
One-of-a-kind Living-Book Database/Web-Interface
$3,950, plus actual book purchase costs; shipping; and book purchase/labeling/shipping labor. Overall total dependent on school's buying/borrowing goals (recommendation labor already included in base figure)
NOTES FROM TABLE ABOVE:
1 Using our special sources, we will search for low-cost treasures, to stretch school budget: $1,000 deposit requested in advance, for first transaction; 30 days net thereafter.
2 School pays return shipping. Insurance advised.
3 Partial-hour minimum is just 5 minutes, so easy on school budget. Michelle is independent contractor, so no complications for schools. Her recommendation time (or other needed time) invoiced monthly; 30 days net.
4 Michelle's library database/web-interface facilitates interlibrary loan, if schools wish to cooperate. Details/needed specifications provided upon initiation.